After 21 years of operation, Furry Friends is ready to hire our first ever paid employee. The position will be a paid part-time Lead Medical Director position. Please message firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
Location: Furry Friends Cat Shelter, Vancouver WA
Position: Medical Director/Veterinarian Assistant or Vet Tech
Hours: Part time/Flex 25 hours
Furry Friends Cat Shelter in Vancouver WA is looking for a self-motivated Medical Director skilled in managing a diverse team of medical volunteers and capable of providing high-quality medical care. He or she must demonstrate an aptitude in shelter/clinical medicine. The Medical Director will act as a lead shelter Veterinarian Assistant and provide oversight to shelter medical operations and medical volunteers as well as establishing relationships within the veterinary community. This is a paid position and reports to the Furry Friends Board of Directors.
- Assure regulatory compliance relating to the practice of veterinary medicine within the shelter
- Establish low stress, fear-free handling protocols
- Review and create medical and pain management protocols
- Oversee disease management protocols to ensure a high standard of care and best practices
- Ensure that the medical supplies are adequately stocked
- Mentor medical volunteers and support a learning environment
- Maintain all medical records and medical record data entry
- Answer calls and questions from Fosters to provide medical guidance
- Communicate and Collaborate with Vets, schedule medical appointments
- Examine cats at the shelter and in foster care and maintain a comprehensive medical care plan
- Start and complete medical treatment and prescriptions for shelter animals
- Will be responsible for the overall care of all the cats and kittens within Furry Friends
- Providing general nursing care when needed
- Examining animals and checking vitals
- Administering first aid for emergencies
- Drawing Blood samples for testing is a plus
Required Skills: Veterinary Assistant or Technician with a minimum of 1-year experience in a clinic or shelter setting.
A successful Medical Director candidate will have multiple prerequisite skills and qualifications needed for the performance of their duties. Some necessary skills and qualifications include:
- Working knowledge of the pharmaceuticals that are prescribed by the Veterinarian
- Good listening skills, Compassion, Communication skills, Physical Stamina
- Leadership skills
Education: A Vet Assistant or Vet Tech degree or equivalent on the job training/education
If you are interested in this paid position, please contact Jaimie Garver at email@example.com or leave a message for her at (360) 993-1097 and she will get back to you.
Posting date January 2, 2021